Fak’ugesi Awards 2023
Story Posted: 18 April 2023
After a successful inaugural edition in 2022, the Fak’ugesi 2023 Awards for Digital Creativity is back with the only award of its kind on the continent recognising digital innovation in creativity across the countries of Africa. Since our inception 10 years ago we have seen, worked with, and applauded the meteoric rise of African creativity in the digital space. In 2023, we want to further this growth by awarding the best works in five categories: arts (visual, performance), animation, music, video games, and extended reality (AR, VR).
In 2022 our jury of specialists in each category selected our winning applications. We will launch our 2023 jury soon on social media.
See information on our 2022 winners or watch our award ceremony live event.
- 21 May – Applications Begin
- 6 June – Information Webinar
- 21 June – Nominations Close
- 21 July – Applications Close
- 21 August – Finalists Announced
- 29 September – Awards Ceremony at Fak’ugesi 2023 10-Year Anniversary Edition
Each project will be reviewed by two selection panel members who will develop a shortlist of 10 projects per category for the jury to evaluate.
All the winning projects have been announced at a special Fak’ugesi Awards ceremony on 29 September 2023 followed by the closing party of the Fak’ugesi Festival.
- Applicants need to be 18 years or older
- The work must be their own
- Applicants must have a fully completed project (Material/Project must have been shown publicly)
- All submissions in which intellectual property rights are jointly owned must be submitted with the full written consent of all rights holders concerned.
- An application must be made in one category
- Open to all individuals/ companies who wish to apply.
- Projects that are created from 2019 to the present.
Eligible formats for each category:
Short films (duration not more than 5 min)
Longer length features (30 min and above)
Photography and digital manipulation
Performance with digital components
Screen-based digital art
Digital Cross-Sector Music & Composition
Composers linked to animation, gaming, XR, and digital arts
Applications open on 22 May 2023
All materials/project(s) must be submitted online before 21 September 2022, 23:59 GMT. Late applications will not be considered.
Nominations open on 22 May 2023:
Should you know of a project which you think fits the awards criteria, you may nominate a project through our nomination form.
Nominations must be submitted online before 21 June 2023, 23:59 GMT to allow us time to communicate with the nominated person/team/studio.
Can I apply individually?
- Yes, you can apply as an individual, company or team.
Do you hold an event that we need to attend to receive an award?
- The Fak’ugesi Award winners will be honoured at the Fak’ugesi Award ceremony on 29 September 2023. Finalists will be invited to the awards, though we are not able to cover transportation or accommodation costs. We are able to provide supporting letters from 21 August 2023 should you need to apply for local funding support.
What do I get if I win an award?
- The winner will receive a trophy. The Fak’ugesi Awards trophy is a unique representation of the spark of innovation, our iconic lightning bolt motif comes to life at dusk with an internal led light array. We will reveal more information about other prizes in August.
Where do I enter?
- To enter, please apply with the application form on this page. Applications via any other format will not be accepted.
Is there any cost for the application?
- No, there is no cost for the application.
- Applications are free!
Can I enter my work in more than one category?
- Applications may only be submitted under one category, please choose the most relevant artform for the application.
How many submissions can be made for the same individual or organisation?
- Each individual or organisation is allowed to submit one application into one category.
What happens after I submit?
- Each project will be reviewed by two selection panel members who will develop a shortlist of 10 projects per category for the jury to evaluate.
- We will announce five finalists from each category on 21 August 2023. The winning projects will be announced at a special Fak’ugesi Awards ceremony on 29 September 2023 followed by the closing party of Fak’ugesi Festival.
Who receives the prize if the winning project is the result of a collaboration between more than one company?
- The team lead/applicant will receive the Fak’ugesi Award Trophy on behalf of the whole team or organisation.