Fak’ugesi Digital Africa Residency 2019
CALL FOR ARTISTS: Fak’ugesi Digital Africa Residency
In collaboration with Pro Helvetia Johannesburg & the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
Call for artists addressing technology and/or creative technologists to participate in the annual Fak’ugesi African Digital Innovation Festival’s creative residency in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Four young digital makers will be chosen, three from SADC and 1 from Switzerland.
SADC Countries include: Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Seychelles, Tanzania (including Zanzibar), Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
The residency provides the opportunity to:
- spend four weeks thinking (8 Aug – 8 Sept 2019), experimenting and working in a dynamic cross-disciplinary environment together with counterparts from around the world,
- with mentorship and support provided by professionals in the digital arts field,
- leading up to the presentation of work and ideas in the context of the Fak’ugesi digital arts festival in Johannesburg in Aug / September 2019.
RESIDENCY 2019 FOCUS:
The time has come to stake our claim and own the domain. It’s our talent, our industry, and our creative economy
#OWNOURFORCE – The focus of the Fak’ugesi Festival in 2019 is on ownership and cultural equity in digital culture and its practices in Africa and the world.
Who owns our digital value chain ? How do we stake our claim and protect our creative equity in the digital world ? How do we share our intellectual property and protect it at the same time ? How do we value our contribution and innovation in the African creative economy ?
Application Deadline: July 1st 2019
Number of Places: 4
Fak’ugesi Digital Africa Residency Dates: 1 month, 7 Aug to 8 September 2019.
Supported by the Residency: Travel to and from Johannesburg, accommodation, per diems, foundational production budget. Some mentorship and production support towards an exhibition.
Fak’ugesi Festival Dates: 30 Aug. – 9. Sept. 2019.
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa.
Residency Expectations: Successful applicants are required to be in Johannesburg for the full residency period. Residents are expected to develop work in residence (either collaboratively with the other residents or independently). Residents are expected to engage publicly through their practice with attendees via either workshops or talks. The required residency outcome is to produce a work (the format is open: installation, screen based, performance, app, game, etc.) for a final exhibition to open on Thursday 29th Sept 2019 as part of the Fak’ugesi Festival program in Johannesburg.
To see more on the Fak’ugesi Festival visit our YouTube Channel.
Supply the following details and information to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day on 1 July 2019
- Contact Mobile:
- Contact Email:
- Which region are you entering under:
- Country of Residence:
- Proposal of work to be explored during the residency:
- 500 words max
- Motivate why you should be chosen as a Fak’ugesi Digital Africa Resident:
- 500 words max
- CV and Related Images or images of works in development to support your application:
- As attachments
- Link to Online Work:
- Hyper links of existing work, website or online portfolio.